On Feb. 11, the IU News & Media Team was asked by The Media School at Indiana University to provide media relations support for an event featuring alumni Mark Cuban and Eric Shanks. The events featuring Cuban, owner of the NBA’s Dallas Mavericks and other ventures, and Shanks, president of Fox Sports, were part of a special Sports Media Week at the school.
The team worked closely with school’s National Sports Journalism Center, Fox Sports and the Indiana Memorial Union on logistics. Arrangements were to present the Feb. 18 public event in Whittenberger Auditorium and a media availability with Cuban and Shanks in the nearly University Club. A news release was prepared and media were contacted directly about the events.
Cuban’s plane was delayed, but Shanks proceeded with an informal interview with local media, which included WTTV, WXIN, the Herald-Times, Indiana Daily Student and a blogger with The Media School. They were joined at the public event by bloggers and a reporter at WRTV. Afterward, Cuban spoke with reporters at a media availability.
- Fox Sports, “Shanks, Cuban share advice at ‘Future of Sports and Technology Panel’”
- Awful Announcing, “Mark Cuban and Fox’s Eric Shanks are both bullish on virtual reality”
- SVG News, “Mark Cuban, Fox Sports’ Eric Shanks ponder digital future of sports production“
- Indiana Daily Student, “IU Alums speak on technology and sports media”
- Bloomington Herald-Times, “’Keep on learning,’ sports media celebrities tell IU students”
- The Media School, “Cuban, Shanks predict tech influence on sports media future”
- Daily Chum, “Mark Cuban to headline IU’s Sports Media Week”