Each fall, the IU News and Media Team works to position John Talbott, assistant director of the Center for Education and Research in Retailing in IU’s Kelley School of Business, as expert on holiday shopping trends.
In addition to responding to media queries, blog posts and news releases are prepared about Talbott’s research. Talbott is now among those who reporters are turning to for stories on online shopping, Black Friday and other relevant topics.
On Nov. 18, a news release was issued, “New IU Kelley School of Business survey finds enthusiasm for fashion apparel this holiday season,” about the FINdex, a fashion innovation index prepared by Talbott. Efforts were successful to place a story in Women’s Wear Daily, the leading news source for the fashion industry. The Nov. 18 article, “Survey: Millennial ‘Style Gurus’ Poised to Spend This Holiday Season,” was the result.
Other stories featuring Talbott include:
- Press-Chronicle (Louisiana), “Target site overwhelmed with traffic on Cyber Monday,” Dec. 2
- WTTV-4 and WXIN-59, “Cyber Monday gaining popularity with customers, retailers,” Nov. 30.
- USA Today, “Cyber Monday? It’s Cyber Weekend, (Nov. 28)
- Indiana Daily Student, “Survey measures consumer attitudes toward fashion trends“
- Wisconsin Public Radio, “How Black Friday and Holiday Shopping Have Changed This Year“
- Bloomington Herald-Times, “Women shoppers decide market, set trends, Black Friday“
- USA Today, Nov. 23, “Cyber Monday Shifts to Cyber Weekend”
- Newsday (NY), Nov. 15, “Simon stands down: How a mall display bred cyber-activitists.”
- Tencent report (China), Nov. 9
- Venture Capital Post, Nov. 8, “Samsung Gear S2: A new way to revolutionize the modern world (article about smart watches)”
- USA Today, Nov. 6, “Online retailers getting physical”
- Marketplace Radio, Oct. 30, “It’s not really Black Friday anymore.”